November 15, 2008

California Dreamin'


















CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'
- Materials = salvaged glazed ceramic tile; Mexican smalti, natural stone; metallic glazed ceramic tile; on 1/4" environmental MDF; partially grouted with sanded grout.
Size = 8" x 8"


I guess it's true what they say...you can take the girl out of California, but you can't take California out of the girl. I spent a major portion of my life in California and consider it one of my "home bases" so I visit friends and old haunts there whenever I get the chance. It's true that it's changed a lot since the years that I lived there, but it still has some lovely scenic places and a landscape that talks so sweetly to me. The rolling hills, rambling oaks and fields full of wildflowers never cease to thrill me. My favorite of those flowers is the California Poppy — also the official state flower. There is just something so cheery in seeing one or two of those bright orange flowers poking up amongst the weeds along the road sides and it is absolutely breathtaking to see an entire field carpeted in them. This piece is dear to my heart because it captures a bit of the magic I feel for California and because it is a gift for some very dear people who first gave me California.

No comments: